20 April 2016

Contamination

I just finished reading the first four books of a series called "Contamination." The series details a shadowy organization's apocalyptic viral attack on the southwestern United States.

This organization releases a virus into food and water supplies of various towns and cities that turns most people into vile, murderous creatures not unlike zombies. Slightly derivative of some more popular stories across various media, but enjoyable nonetheless, if a bit short.

Some characters pop up in the storyline to interact with the main protagonists - almost all determined to do evil. These characters got me wondering about what humanity might become if society completely broke down.

I'd LIKE to think that society, as a whole - more specifically, American society - would do everything in their power to help their fellow man. The more I thought about it, however, it slowly dawned on me that we probably wouldn't.

That bothers me more than you could know. It shames me to think that man's inhumanity towards man might be the norm rather than the exception.

All I have to do is look at many of the people supporting Trump in the election cycle. The way they treat those who disagree with them is the social media equivalent of the "human wave" attacks on American soldiers in Vietnam. They're seemingly all truly vile. I've made no secret of my opposition to Trump and if you read my blog or peruse my Facebook page you'll know my reasons for that opposition, so I'll not repeat them here.

I have received death threats (which I don't take too seriously) and many other vile, nasty, disgusting comments for that opposition.

I mostly just laugh at them, but today I noticed a comment on a meme I posted yesterday. The meme mocked Trump's ridiculous statement that 9/11 was worse than the attack on Pearl Harbor. A Trump supporter actually said that even despite that comment, he was still the best candidate running.

My response was basically "Only if you're not concerned with the Constitution." He then proceeded to say that the Constitution DOES NOT MATTER because people "only pull it out when it suits their purpose." I am not kidding.

Essentially, this "man" confirmed, at least for me, what I've said since Trump began his run - he and most of his supporters care nothing for this country. They SAY they do, but being willing to throw away the very foundation of this nation pretty much says otherwise.

The people in "Contamination" are essentially the same. They destroyed the foundations of their own humanity in order to prey on others.

Destroying the Constitutional underpinnings of this nation is as bad to me as destroying your own humanity. Neither are acceptable to me under any circumstances. Period.

I may not be able to do anything to prevent a proverbial "zombie apocalypse," but as long as I draw breath the Constitution of the United States of America will never die. If you seek to supplant, subvert, damage or destroy it in any way, you are my enemy and the enemy of this nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment