27 April 2014

Hyphenated Americanism


I cannot possibly begin to explain how much I despise “hyphenated Americanism.”

There was once a time, not that long ago, when people from all over this planet wanted to become Americans. These people willingly foreswore their allegiance to their former countries to swear allegiance to the United States. Now we have citizens putting their heritage over their citizenship, even though their families have been in this country for generations. 

If you emigrated here from Africa, then became an American citizen, you're an “African-American.” If you were born here, raised here, and lived here all your life – you're an American. Charlize Theron is an African-American. Al “Not-so” Shapton is not. The same applies to any ethnicity. Yes, it really is that simple.

My heritage includes the Irish, German, Austro-Hungarian, French, English, Welsh, Scottish, Swedish, and Cherokee and Creek Indian. I don't use any of that to describe myself. I don't even call myself white. I'm just an American.

Let's get one thing straight: I am not saying you shouldn't be proud of your heritage. I'm not even saying you shouldn't celebrate it. I know I'm proud of my heritage. Well - maybe not the French part, but I can't really be picky about that, can I? (To my readers in France – relax, that was just a joke!!!) My point here is that you shouldn't place it ahead of your citizenship.

I call on any and all “hyphenated Americans” who read these words to lay aside the hyphen. Stop separating yourselves from the rest of the nation. Stop being a victim of the people who want to keep you separated. Liberals/progressives/democrats don't care about you, except for your vote to keep them in power. Do you not understand that keeping you hyphenated keeps you separated?

It's time for you to be “just” an AMERICAN. ~ Hunter

No comments:

Post a Comment